CubaHeadlines

Father of Miami-Dade Woman Arrested After Disturbing Incident with Daughters Speaks Out

Sunday, August 23, 2026 by Ernesto Alvarez

The husband of Meliza Campos Sánchez, a 26-year-old Cuban woman arrested in Miami-Dade for releasing videos where she poured hot wax on her daughters and set fire to their home, revealed that he had tried to alert authorities before these incidents, but received no effective response.

Yusniel Cue told the press that he called the police three times to warn them about his wife's deteriorating mental state. At the time of the events, they had been separated for about a week.

"They told me they couldn't do anything unless a crime had been committed," Cue stated. He also consulted a psychiatrist, who similarly informed him that Meliza could only be hospitalized if she went voluntarily.

"We've never had issues; it's just that she's mentally unwell, and no one ever helped me," Cue added. He was the one who prompted the police intervention after receiving the hot wax video from the accused's friends and immediately called the Sheriff's Office.

On Friday, Campos Sánchez appeared in front of a Miami-Dade court, smiling and blowing kisses to her family during the hearing.

Community and Family Rally for Mental Health Support

The judge ordered that two Spanish-speaking doctors evaluate her to assess her mental competence.

Alongside Yusniel, other family members came to support the young woman. They insist that she was undergoing a mental health crisis, had been prescribed medication, but stopped taking it, and plead that she not be judged solely based on the social media videos.

"Many women are testifying that she is a good woman, a great mother, and that in her right mind, she wouldn't have done this," said Aliuska Rodríguez, Meliza's cousin.

Disturbing Incident and Social Media Evidence

The primary incident occurred on Sunday, August 17, at their southwest Miami-Dade home. Campos Sánchez used a rod lighter to ignite a garment soaked in flammable liquid while her daughters—aged three and six—were inside. The older daughter extinguished the flames with a water container.

Authorities also highlighted two key videos posted by the accused on her Instagram account, where she was known as the "Unfiltered Realtor" with tens of thousands of followers.

In one video, she poured melted wax on her own leg and then on the hands of her three-year-old daughter, telling her, "The fears you feel today will be your strength tomorrow." The child responded, "That burns."

Campos Sánchez was arrested on Monday, August 18, first taken to a hospital for a mental health evaluation under Florida's Baker Act—which allows involuntary hospitalization for up to 72 hours—and later booked into the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center.

Legal and Immigration Consequences

A judge ordered her held without bail and appointed a public defender. She faces charges of first-degree arson, child abuse, and two counts of child neglect.

The two daughters remain in their father's custody. The next hearing is scheduled for September 11, when the results of the medical evaluations will determine if Campos Sánchez is mentally competent to stand trial.

Meanwhile, the case has taken on an immigration dimension. The Department of Homeland Security announced that ICE has placed a detainer on Campos Sánchez, labeled "Miami Menace," and will seek to deport her after the criminal proceedings. Authorities stated she entered the United States illegally via Florida in May 2022.

Key Questions About the Miami-Dade Incident

What charges does Meliza Campos Sánchez face?

Meliza Campos Sánchez faces charges of first-degree arson, child abuse, and two counts of child neglect.

What mental health evaluations are being conducted?

Two Spanish-speaking doctors have been ordered by the judge to evaluate Meliza Campos Sánchez to determine her mental competency.

What is the immigration status of Meliza Campos Sánchez?

The Department of Homeland Security has placed an ICE detainer on her, seeking to deport her after the criminal process. She entered the U.S. illegally through Florida in May 2022.

© CubaHeadlines 2026